Is your company looking to hire a software developer? It can be a challenge, but don’t get overwhelmed. Software developers are uniquely challenging to hire for a few reasons, one of which being that they are in such great demand. The other reason is that not all software developers are created equally, as you can imagine, and it can be difficult to determine which developers will do great work, and what skillsets you will require from them beforehand. To add to that, with the rise of the freelance and gig economy, more and more developers are finding it preferable to work from home on contract or freelancing basis, and as a result, you might find that most of the developers you encounter want to do exactly that. There’s no problem with this arrangement, of course, but it can add to the complexity of hiring and managing them, when you’re not used to having employees work entirely remotely.
Here are some tips on how to navigate hiring software developers:
1. Make sure they’re competent. This is a no-brainer of course, but you want to be sure that your developer is going to be detail oriented and capable of doing his or her job correctly. There is nothing worse than hiring a developer who creates software that is full of bugs and glitches. Ask to see examples of previous work done, as well as references, especially if they are going to be working autonomously.
2. Make sure they’ve got great communication skills. This is by far one of the most important elements, and cannot be stressed enough. Although developers are traditionally more analytically-oriented, rather than being gifted with fluid communications skills, without these skills, you risk setting up development projects for disaster. As a manager, you need to be able to communicate your project needs, or the needs of your clients, to the developer, and the developer needs to be able to communicate his or her understanding of those needs, and how they will be tackled and solved, in a clear and effective manner.
3. Make sure you’ve got a project manager (PM) who can talk the talk, and manage the project effectively. Without a great project manager to pull all the right pieces together, liaise with your developer, and make sure everything is running smoothly, your project is almost certainly going to hit a wall. Especially for large projects, developers need to be managed, so make sure you’ve got someone in place for this.
At Hardboot, we come across companies all the time that are having trouble hiring software developers, for all of the reasons mentioned above, and more. We help solve this problem by contracting out our own software developers on either a part time or full time basis to our clients, as needed. Companies hire our developers because they know that:
1. Our developers do a great job and have portfolios of work to prove it
2. Our developers are experienced, competence, and have great communications skills
3. Our developers are automatically assigned a PM, through Hardboot, to ensure that their work is being completely on time and on budget.
We don’t mess around! If your company is in need of a software developer to work independently or in your team, click here to contact us today for a no-obligation quote, or call 1 (866) 602-2787